Certain games keep minimizing or crashing when trying to play

themerchant

Certain games keep minimizing or crashing when trying to play

Post by themerchant » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:40 am

Certain games keep minimizing or crashing when I try to play while Aster is enabled. Games I've tested that exhibit this behaviour are:

Batman Arkham City
Batman Arkham Knight (tends to crash sometimes)
GTA V (tends to crash a lot)
A Way Out (Graphics are glitchy and game minimizes)

I'm running 2 workplaces, and this happens even if the second workplace is doing nothing, so it is not a resource issue. The games work just fine when I disable Aster though. Has anyone experienced anything similar and/or have a fix for the problem?

DisAster

Re: Certain games keep minimizing or crashing when trying to play

Post by DisAster » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:02 am

Are you using two monitors connected to one video card? I've seen this kind of behavior when sharing two different workstation monitors on a single video card.

themerchant

Post by themerchant » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:06 pm

Yes, two monitors connected to one GPU. Is there a way around this? I do have an iGPU as well, but want to be utilizing my discrete GPU on both workstations (I sometimes play games on the one and sometimes on the other).

DisAster

Post by DisAster » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:14 pm

I believe that there's a way around it, and that's to use display port. My understanding is that the issue pertains to how video cards do timing. All timing, regardless of what output you use, uses the same part on the card. But with Display port, the monitor handles the timing.

I highly recommend a separate video card. Nvidia 750's can be found really cheap, (~$50) and they're relatively low power, not requiring a PCIE power cable in most cases.

If a second video card isn't an option, then you might suck it up and use the IGP. Heck, try that first and see if the crashing goes away.

wearethedropperz

Post by wearethedropperz » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:00 pm

DisAster wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:14 pm
I believe that there's a way around it, and that's to use display port. My understanding is that the issue pertains to how video cards do timing. All timing, regardless of what output you use, uses the same part on the card. But with Display port, the monitor handles the timing.

I highly recommend a separate video card. Nvidia 750's can be found really cheap, (~$50) and they're relatively low power, not requiring a PCIE power cable in most cases.

If a second video card isn't an option, then you might suck it up and use the IGP. Heck, try that first and see if the crashing goes away.
Would you need displayport for both monitors? Right now I have a 144hz DVI-D and a 60hz monitor HDMI, both going to a single GTX 1070.