Blank screens with Windows 11

Michoko

Blank screens with Windows 11

Post by Michoko » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:50 pm

Hi,

I've ben using Aster with Windows 10 with no problem, but today I tried to upgrade to Windows 11, and I have a serious issue (with Aster 2.51)

I have two graphics cards: an internal intel iGPU, and an RTX 4070. I plugged two monitors to my iGPU output (for multi screen), and my RTX 4070 to a third monitor (actually it's the second monitor but on a different HDMI input, but it's the same, I just use a button to switch inputs).

I then setup two user accounts: a primary account that uses the RTX 4070, and another one that uses the two iGPU screens. This setup worked perfectly for years.

Before upgrading to Windows 11, I disabled Aster. I made the upgrade, reactivated Aster, but now only the display on the RTX 4070 works. The monitors plugged on the iGPU don't switch on. If I try to access the dual-screen account with Teamviewer, I can see the desktop properly, and it is running. So both accounts run properly. It's just that the monitors don't switch on and they consider there is no signal.

Would you have a suggestion before I have to switch back to Windows 10 please? Thank you!

PS: Both accounts are local

Michoko

Re: Blank screens with Windows 11

Post by Michoko » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:03 pm

Hmm, I finally removed the iGPU drivers entirely, then redownloaded them. It made Aster require me to re-assign all screens to the 2 user accounts, and now it is working again!

Thank you for this awesome software!

teingredient

Post by teingredient » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:25 am

Hi Michoko,
I'm thrilled to hear that you were able to resolve the issue by removing and re-downloading the iGPU drivers. Your detailed update might be really helpful for others facing similar challenges. Thanks for sharing, and glad to know everything is working well now!
I'm a an Art Director!tunnel rush

Michoko

Post by Michoko » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:27 pm

Hi,

Here is a follow up message for this issue: unfortunately, the problem is not completely solved. When I try to upgrade the iGPU drivers to the latest version, I get blank screens again. So what solved the issue previously, was the fact that I uninstalled the iGPU entry in the device manager, by also ticking the box that uninstalls the drivers during device removal. On the next boot, Windows 11 reinstalled embedded version 31.0.101.4889 of the driver automatically, which works fine.

But if I try to upgrade to version 31.0.101.5333 of the Arc & Iris drivers (I have a 12700K CPU), I experience blank screens again. Of course, I do all those drivers upgrades while Aster is deactivated, to prevent any issue. When Aster is deactivated, all drivers versions for my iGPU work fine, but as soon as I activate it, I get blank screens for my second user, who uses those screens. I also used DDU to clean up everything and install the newest drivers, but no success. The only thing that works is uninstall the drivers, and let Windows 11 install an older version (31.0.101.4889) by itself.

Is there a fix to that, or am I stuck with version 31.0.101.4889? Moreover, I'm afraid that at some point Windows 11 will install default drivers that are more recent, leading to incompatibility with Aster.

Would you have any insight to share, please? Thank you!

psychrabi

Post by psychrabi » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:45 pm

Drivers for arc graphics card is not supported for creating workplaces using ASTER
This includes all IGPU that has arc graphics and all arc graphics cards.

Michoko

Post by Michoko » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:48 am

Thank you for your reply. I've been using my iGPU for years with ASTER, so I guess that there are drivers that are compatible with it (I'm actually using version 31.0.101.4889 perfectly fine right now, on an i7 12700K). Do you know if there is another drivers branch that are actually officially supported by ASTER ? Thank you!