Stutters with workplace 1: where to start troubleshooting?

thibodeau.sim

Stutters with workplace 1: where to start troubleshooting?

Post by thibodeau.sim » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:23 pm

Hi, I am using Aster on a 2 users station. It seems like workplace #1 periodically gets stutters. It happens even if both users are just browsing. It seems to always happen on workplace 1, even If I switch all the displays and input devices in different ways, which leads me to suspect that it could be simply a bug or something.

Hardware: R9 7950x, RTX 3090, 64gb DDR5@5200Mhz.
Workplace 1's only display is currently plugged in from the GPU, while workplace 2 has two monitors plugged in from the integrated graphics. Although, the issue was also happening when single monitors were used with both, connected straight to GPU.

The stutters seem to come up at random. the screen/mouse will freeze for a second or two, then be stutter for a couple of seconds, then get back to normal. I think it might happen more when workplace 1 was idle for a while and gets used again, but it does happen rarely mid-sessions. It also happens when both users are doing very light stuff like browsing, so with the good specs of my computer, I don't think it could be related to performance issues.

I've already tried a couple things like switching up peripheral configs, which didn't do anything. I also tried switching up the order of the workplaces, which only lead to the other users having stutters instead.

The issue is very intermittent and about 90-95% of the time, both stations run flawlessly. It's not a dealbreaker for me to use the software, which I greatly enjoy.

I'm posting here in case this is a common or known issue. If anybody knows what should be my next steps for troubleshooting, I would really appreciate it! It will be a bit hard to troubleshoot since it does happen pretty rarely and I still can't exactly pinpoint what in what conditions it is happening.

Happy to share more detailed info or specs if needed. Thanks everyone!

beast2040

Re: Stutters with workplace 1: where to start troubleshooting?

Post by beast2040 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:10 pm

What frequency is configured for monitors?
That is, not only the mouse pointer freezes, but also the image, for example, on a video, right?
Does the problem move to another place along with the devices if they are reassigned?

langvang

Post by langvang » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:12 am

Since you are rockin a 16 core processor, you could try allocating/spreading out the core and thread counts among each workstations.
EX: have 10 core/20 threads for your main and remaining 6/12 to other workplaces.

debrispug

Post by debrispug » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:21 am

The problem is not so old I think it needs to be updated regularly.

fanincentive

Post by fanincentive » Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:05 am

Since you have a 16-core processor, you could try giving each workstation a different number of cores and threads.
slime rancher 2

dkswedens

Post by dkswedens » Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:52 pm

Does the problem happen if you disable Aster?
Could try distribution of c/t across your workstations.
If it happens from idle to workload maybe its instability caused by cpu parameters set in motherboard / insufficient cooling etc

Try a slight undervolt for kicks