Multi Monitor Solution With only 1 GPU Video Card

FabrinRodriguez

Multi Monitor Solution With only 1 GPU Video Card

Post by FabrinRodriguez » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:02 am

My biggest issue with Aster was there no multi monitor support with only 1 Video Card. After playing around with the software and different configurations I figured out how to get more than one monitor working per workstation with only 1 Video Card.

Monitors connected directly to your video card output ports are displayed as 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc in ASTER workplaces. Aster does not allow you to assign more than one of these displays to any single workstation if they are assigned to another.

After purchasing a USB-to-HDMI and USB-to-VGA adapter, windows recognizes them as separate video cards in device manager, as such Aster will assign these video outputs as 2, 3, etc in Workplaces (NOTE: These are not video cards with GPU's, just adapters that output video via USB but they use your primary GPU as the graphics processor - see links below)

In order to get multi monitor support for any workstation. You must assign the 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.# to workstation 1 ONLY. Do not assign these to any other workstation.

After this you are free to assign any of the displays labeled as 2,3,4,etc to any other workstation in any combination.

Example
Workstation 1 Displays attached - 1.1, 1.2, 2 (This workstation has 2 monitors attached to directly to the primary video card output,and 1 usb to VGA)
Workstation 2 Displays attached - 2, 3 (This workstation has 2 monitors via 2 USB adapters, usb-to-vga, usb-to-hdmi)

Side Note: video outputs connected directly to your primary video card should be assigned to workstation 1 otherwise you will run into many problems

Hope this helps!

airfoxtwo

Re: Multi Monitor Solution With only 1 GPU Video Card

Post by airfoxtwo » Tue May 11, 2021 2:40 pm

If the card has two or more of the same connection type it supports dual monitors. Some cards have two or more different port types and can be interchanged with adapters to support dual-screen setups. Graphics cards that have only one video port do not support dual-monitor setups without adding a second card.

Wundermittens

Post by Wundermittens » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:26 pm

Tried this but monitors were not "active". I think this is because the USB monitors require integrated graphics which my cpu does not have.

If someone has a different solution, that would be great! I'm trying to basically create a fake display to use on the second workspace which I would then cast to my tv in the living room.

zaku49

Post by zaku49 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:52 am

Wundermittens wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:26 pm
Tried this but monitors were not "active". I think this is because the USB monitors require integrated graphics which my cpu does not have.

If someone has a different solution, that would be great! I'm trying to basically create a fake display to use on the second workspace which I would then cast to my tv in the living room.
Try creating a virtual machine, assigned keyboard and mouse to it.

herrylauu

Post by herrylauu » Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:05 am

The sequel is much more involved than the original. There are various new features, including new characters and environments to explore, a new world map to navigate, and a whole new adventure stumble guys

thibodeau.sim

Post by thibodeau.sim » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:40 pm

airfoxtwo wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 2:40 pm
If the card has two or more of the same connection type it supports dual monitors. Some cards have two or more different port types and can be interchanged with adapters to support dual-screen setups. Graphics cards that have only one video port do not support dual-monitor setups without adding a second card.
Does that mean that my RTX 3090 (3 DP ports, one HDMI) can technically do dual monitor setups? I don't seem to be able to do it. Is it possible to run one extra monitor through the integrated graphics ?