Multi Monitor Solution With only 1 GPU Video Card!!

FabrinRodriguez

Multi Monitor Solution With only 1 GPU Video Card!!

Post by FabrinRodriguez » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:47 pm

My biggest issue with Aster was there no multi monitor support with only 1 Video Card. After playing around with the software and different configurations I figured out how to get more than one monitor working per workstation with only 1 Video Card.

Monitors connected directly to your video card output ports are displayed as 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc in ASTER workplaces. Aster does not allow you to assign more than one of these displays to any single workstation if they are assigned to another.

After purchasing a USB-to-HDMI and USB-to-VGA adapter, windows recognizes them as separate video cards in device manager, as such Aster will assign these video outputs as 2, 3, etc in Workplaces (NOTE: These are not video cards with GPU's, just adapters that output video via USB but they use your primary GPU as the graphics processor - see links below)

In order to get multi monitor support for any workstation. You must assign the 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.# to workstation 1 ONLY. Do not assign these to any other workstation.

After this you are free to assign any of the displays labeled as 2,3,4,etc to any other workstation in any combination.

Example
Workstation 1 Displays attached - 1.1, 1.2, 2 (This workstation has 2 monitors attached to directly to the primary video card output,and 1 usb to VGA)
Workstation 2 Displays attached - 2, 3 (This workstation has 2 monitors via 2 USB adapters, usb-to-vga, usb-to-hdmi)

Side Note: video outputs connected directly to your primary video card should be assigned to workstation 1 otherwise you will run into many problems

Hope this helps!

Regards

kse7en

Re: Multi Monitor Solution With only 1 GPU Video Card!!

Post by kse7en » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:13 pm

how do you post look exactly like viewtopic.php?t=3479 ?

xeniate

Post by xeniate » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:48 am

The fact that Aster only supported one video card and no multi-monitor capability was my major complaint. After experimenting with the software and various setups, I discovered how to use only one video card to support several monitors on a single workstation.spacebar clicker

PJDBEEAZ

Post by PJDBEEAZ » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:30 am

I have one low-end NVIDIA card with three outputs: HDMI, DVI and VGA. I connected three monitors to it, and then started the workplace setup. Aster complained that setup on one graphic card is not supported, but I ignored it. After the setup, I enabled Aster and - it works. Three workplaces on one GPU. It worked in trial version, and it worked in full version. It also worked in the previous trial versions that I installed.

My conclusion - it does work with 1 GPU and multiple outputs.

purgefook

Post by purgefook » Tue May 30, 2023 7:18 am

My main issue with Aster was its single video card and lack of multi-monitor compatibility. I learned how to use one video card to support many displays on a workstation after experimenting with software and settings.