W10: Why does it take up so long to turn on the PC/laptop?

zintapritie2

W10: Why does it take up so long to turn on the PC/laptop?

Post by zintapritie2 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:03 pm

I encounter this problem on a PC and on a laptop, both without SSDs, but with good specs in general (i7 8750h, 32GB RAM etc). I have a legit installation of W10 on both.

When I turn on the PC/laptop, I see a black screen for a long time (3-10 minutes, usually) before seeing the screen that requires my password (or pin or whatever). Sometimes, I see the mouse on the black screen, but that's all. Sometimes, the screen is completely black

Why is this happening? How can it be fixed besides going back to linux?

bastichy

Re: W10: Why does it take up so long to turn on the PC/laptop?

Post by bastichy » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:12 am

Not sure if its an aster problem but...

*windows 10 is notorious to do this. after an update.. or if the drive detected errors.
Sometimes when a drive is old or has errors it boots slowly. In addition at timesm windows will mark a drive for an error check to be done on next start up. When the machine is turned on it scans the drive but only shows you a black screen then loads windows..
'I would recommend you download and run hwinfo - and see if in the listing for the hard drive there is any warnings shown.
also as a safeguard - run a chkdsk C: /f/r from a command window with administrator privileges. This should mark any bad sectors and should alleviate the problem... temporarily. *signs of bad sectors usually mean start saving for a new one.

My only guess if is INDEED Aster related is maybe its having a problem loading up and checking devices by aster....Hopefully one of their techs will answer you.

Debradom

4 W10 Why does it take up so long to turn on the PC/laptop

Post by Debradom » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:01 am

have you tried putting them closer to the light? from what I can see all the ones on the gravel are closed but the ones further up are open.