Multi Monitor Solution With only 1 GPU Video Card!

pistolpete_1980

Multi Monitor Solution With only 1 GPU Video Card!

Post by pistolpete_1980 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:50 am

My biggest issue with Aster was there no multi monitor support with only 1 Video Card. After playing around with the software and different configurations I figured out how to get more than one monitor working per workstation with only 1 Video Card.

Monitors connected directly to your video card output ports are displayed as 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc in ASTER workplaces. Aster does not allow you to assign more than one of these displays to any single workstation if they are assigned to another.

After purchasing a USB-to-HDMI and USB-to-VGA adapter, windows recognizes them as separate video cards in device manager, as such Aster will assign these video outputs as 2, 3, etc in Workplaces (NOTE: These are not video cards with GPU's, just adapters that output video via USB but they use your primary GPU as the graphics processor - see links below)

In order to get multi monitor support for any workstation. You must assign the 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.# to workstation 1 ONLY. Do not assign these to any other workstation.

After this you are free to assign any of the displays labeled as 2,3,4,etc to any other workstation in any combination.

Example
Workstation 1 Displays attached - 1.1, 1.2, 2 (This workstation has 2 monitors attached to directly to the primary video card output,and 1 usb to VGA)
Workstation 2 Displays attached - 2, 3 (This workstation has 2 monitors via 2 USB adapters, usb-to-vga, usb-to-hdmi)

Side Note: video outputs connected directly to your primary video card should be assigned to workstation 1 otherwise you will run into many problems

Hope this helps!

Regards

kse7en

Re: Multi Monitor Solution With only 1 GPU Video Card!

Post by kse7en » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:11 am

Thanks pistolpete

I've followed your solution and it works :D

just a couple questions if you don't mind

1. the performance of the monitor through USB3.0-to-VGA is significantly worse than when you connect it directly to the card. surfing webs is fine. but gaming is a disaster
I think it is expected but do you have any way to improve it?
2. the monitor with USB3.0-to-VGA usually lost connection after windows reboot. I have to unplug and plug the cable, reboot again (sometimes more than 1 time) to fix it. do you have this issue?

vaskots88

Re: Multi Monitor Solution With only 1 GPU Video Card!

Post by vaskots88 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:36 am

You should try Parsec.
but as long as i know, you can connect only to one worplace at the same time.
and whernever you want to connect to the other one you should first "kill' the procces from the first workplace.