Turing off monitor on display 1, crashes display 2

leafnut73

Turing off monitor on display 1, crashes display 2

Post by leafnut73 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:31 am

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and just installed Aster on my system--windows 8.1 x64 with media center. I may be of some use to some of you as I speak Russian, so I can read and understand the Russian forum--there is a lot more info over there BTW. I'm hoping for some help on this particular problem and appreciate any help--couldn't find the answer on either forum. Got it up and going and loving it--that is until I ran into this dandy of a problem:

Setup
HP Z820 Workstation, Nvidia Quadro K5000, 2 X Xeon e5-2630 Hexacore

Display 1: Display port (with HDMI adapter) to Receiver (Onkyo TX-808) to TV
Display 2: Display port (with HDMI adapter) to Samsung TV

So long as I have display 1--the receiver and TV powered on--all is good (with the exception of the mouse cursor not displaying in WMC--I can live with it). However, when I turn off the TV and/or receiver on display 1 (leaving the PC on of course), then try to open a program on display 2 it flickers, then goes blank. I go back to display 1, turn on the receiver and monitor, and it is frozen or my receiver says no signal. I heard the hardware removal sound once on my display 2 prior to the display crashing. I have to perform a hard reboot to get the system working again. This is a giant pain in the Zhopa (little Russian slang) as I am running a HTPC and my recordings get jacked.
I have disabled sleep mode, set the power settings to max, set my video card power settings to max, disabled fast reboot (it was never enabled), and still the same problem.
This is driving me nuts, so I'm hoping you guys can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

hunter

Re: Turing off monitor on display 1, crashes display 2

Post by hunter » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:07 pm

There is a component that is bought that keeps the monitor even when turned off, the windows do recognize that it is still on, do not remember the name.

ikanffy

Re: Turing off monitor on display 1, crashes display 2

Post by ikanffy » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:52 pm

Win 8.1 x64 Enterprise, GT 640 (driver v361.91), MSI X99A SLI Plus, Intel Core i7-5820K@stock, 4x16GB DDR4-2400.
Aster configured for 2 Terminals (2 USB mice, 2 USB KBs, 1 DVI and 1 D-sub connected monitors).

I had almost the same problem - got me a while to figure out the cause of reboots without any messages in Events.

In Power Options I had my "Turn off the display" set to 10 minutes.
While I was working locally - had no issues, second display goes black after 10 min inactivity on Terminal 2 and it doesn't bother Terminal 1. But when I left PC all alone and then later logged on remotely - all my launched programs were closed. Found out that PC has rebooted a number of times already - nothing in Events.

Discovered the cause - PC was resetting every time both displays go to sleep (turned off by Power Options).
Setting "Turn off the display" to Never in Power Options solved this problem, but it's more like a workaround than a fix.